Swim Lesson Instructor
Pay Rate: $14.20/hr
Hours: Wednesday 3:45 – 5:15 PM; Saturdays 10:00 – 11:30 AM
The Swim Instructor is responsible for teaching swim lessons under the YMCA of the USA model. Swim Instructors should have experience teaching swim lessons and enjoy working with people, especially children as many lesson opportunities are with children. We will provide training for anyone who is a comfortable swimmer, even if they don’t have prior lesson experience.
General Duties and Responsibilities
The following duties are normal for this position. These are not to be construed as exclusive or all inclusive. Other duties may be required and assigned
1. Provide excellent member service by exceeding member expectations.
2. Report on the deck 10 minutes before the scheduled shift dressed in a bathing suit.
3. Have equipment ready before your class and store it promptly after your class. Make good use of available equipment, pool space, and personal resources.
4. All instructors must start and end classes on time.
5. Agree to teach for an entire session. Absenteeism MUST be kept to a minimum.
6. Communicate child’s progress with parents on an ongoing basis
7. Adhere to all pool rules and policies. Begin the first class with a reminder of the rules, bathrooms, etc.
8. Know and implement any and all emergency procedures.
9. Maintain accurate attendance for each class as well as updated skill completions using all required forms.
10. Take notes as needed on the strengths and weaknesses of each child in the class.
11. Maintain control and safety of the class. Keep a watchful eye on everyone in the class. All children in flotation should always be within arm’s reach, and never turn your back on a class.
12. Exercise good judgment, competence in meeting the goals, objectives, needs and interest of the
YMCA, the class as a whole and the individual student.
13. Incorporate all five-program components into each lesson: personal safety, water orientation/stroke development, water sports and games, rescue and personal growth.
14. Maintain a clear and consistent line of communication with all supervisors.
15. Participate in all safety and quality drills
16. Attend all required meetings
17. Engage in active listening with members in order to build relationships, understand each individual’s goals and interests and take the initiative to assist in the achievement of those goals.
18. Maintain a professional image and manner consistent with the YMCA mission and goals at all times.
19. All other duties as assigned.
1. Must be at least 14 years of age
2. No Experiences Necessary; Must Enjoy working with people, especially children.
3. Must be able to pass background check
4. Ability to demonstrate sound judgment with a variety of different issues and people.
To Apply: Please fill out and return an employment application (below) to Maddy at firstname.lastname@example.org.