Free Lifeguard Training
Want to become a lifeguard but can’t afford the full cost of a certification? We’re here to help!
To remove financial barriers for potential new Cortland YMCA lifeguards, we are offering certifications for American Red Cross lifeguard certifications (regular certification only, not waterfront) for $50. If you stay with us as a YMCA lifeguard for the summer, we’ll refund your initial $50 payment.
How to Get Your Free Training:
- Register for our next lifeguard certification (the course runs on May 26, May 27, June 3). Pay $50. The remaining balance of the class will be held on your account. NOTE: We cannot do online registrations for this offer. Please stop in or call us at (607) 756-2893 to register.
- Fill out an application form and return it. We’ll call to schedule your interview.
- Complete the interview prior to training. If you have not turned in your application and do not have a scheduled interview prior to class, you will either need to pay the full balance of your class OR not participate/attend.
- Work as a lifeguard at the Cortland YMCA for an average of three shifts a week over the next three months. There is some flexibility here, so if you need alternate arrangements, please ask.
- After three months of employment, you will receive a refund for the initial $50 paid for your certification course.
If you need additional financial aid to help cover part of the $50 fee, please contact Margo at email@example.com