Job Type: Part-time, Monday through Friday 12:00-3:00
Pay: $16.00 per hour
The lifeguard is responsible for the safety of all patrons in and around the pool area. This will be accomplished through providing high quality service in a safe, effective, and inviting atmosphere.
Lifeguard staff must be energetic, dedicated to the safety and individual needs of members, and demonstrate the YMCA’s core values. The flexibility and physical endurance to demonstrate all aspects of lifeguarding and swim instruction with safe and proper form is necessary.
General Duties and Responsibilities
The following duties are normal for this position. These are not to be construed as exclusive or all inclusive. Other duties may be required and assigned.
- Serve as a role model to members and Y staff and live the mission, vision and values of the YMCA movement.
- Ensure safety of all participants by following aquatics best practices.
- Adhere to and enforce aquatic rules and procedures consistently and fairly.
- Maintain constant surveillance of water and pool deck areas.
- Wear rescue tube and hip pack at all times while on duty.
- Maintain cleanliness of pool area when not performing primary duties.
- Accurately record and submit incident reports as required.
- Maintain certifications listed under Certificates and Other Requirements.
- Adherence to all policies and procedures of the Cortland YMCA.
- Understand and follow all safety rules and regulations including knowledge of emergency procedures and location of emergency equipment.
- Regular and timely adherence to schedule and meetings.
- All other duties as assigned by the Aquatics Director.
- Reflect and uphold the mission and core values of the YMCA when dealing with YMCA aquatics participants, parents, and community members.
- Follow and enforce YMCA policies and procedures; respond to emergency situations.
- Must be at least 16 years of age
- Must be able to pass background check
- CPR/First Aid/AED Lifeguard Certification Required
- Renewals of certifications kept up to date and submitted to the supervisor on or before certifications expire.
- Ability to demonstrate sound judgment with a variety of different issues and people.
- Ability to pass lifeguard water test.
- Must be able to remain alert.
- Must be able to sit or stand for extended periods.
- Adequate ability to hear noises and distinguish distress signals.
- Ability to continuously scan all areas of the pool with clear vision.
- Ability to perform strenuous physical tasks necessary for a water rescue.
- Ability to communicate verbally, including projecting voice across distance in normal and loud situations.
To Apply: Please fill out and return an employment application (below) to Eddie at firstname.lastname@example.org.